I tweaked Chrome once using this method and knew it was dead easy and then I got a new laptop and forgot to back up my Chrome installation before wiping the drive. It took me 4+ hours to figure this out again so hopefully this will help others who want icons on their bookmarks bar to these common settings as shown below.
How to get the icons:
- Use CTRL + SHIFT + B to show the Bookmarks Bar if it's not already displayed.
- Right-click the bookmarks bar and choose "Add Page"
- If you want a name alongside the icon (e.g. Downloads), enter one in the top row otherwise leave it blank
- In the URL: section, type one of the following commands;
- If you want, you can also create shortcut icons for settings under the hood by typing in 'about:' commands like "about:dns"
It's now super easy to navigate to Bookmarks, Downloads or Extensions without having to install any extensions or navigating through the settings menu.