Skip to main content

Huge file transfer improvement when upgrading from 802.11n @ 2.4GHz to 802.11n @ 5.8Ghz

I have a Lenovo X220 running Windows 8/64 and a Synology DS712+. I use MakeMKV to backup my DVD's for storing on my NAS.

My network consisted of two SMC Draft-N Access Points (at each end of the house) in bridge mode, all connected via a Gigabit switch.

When transferring .mkv files from my NAS to my laptop or vice versa, the transfer speed was quite poor so I decided to try a dual-band router as my X220 supports 5.8GHz wireless. I purchased two Cisco EA6500's but only ended up deploying one as the range was so good.

It's important to note that although the new EA6500 supports 802.11n and 802.11ac on the 5.8GHz channel, I elected to just enable 802.11n as I do not have any 'ac' adapters yet until I get my new Galaxy S4 (or the HTC One). I split the networks in two so that I had dedicated 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz SSID's.

As you can see, simply switching from 802.11n @ 2.4GHZ (on the SMC) to 802.11n @ 5.8GHZ (on the EA6500) made a huge impact on my transfer speeds. Of course, you need to make sure your devices support the 5.8GHz band for this to be useful. My iPhone 4 doesn't but the Apple TV 2> does.

The before and after transfer speeds are shown below. Well worth the upgrade cost I'd say!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using ESPEasy with Home Assistant via MQTT

Preface: I've just started playing around with Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi and exploring the world of MQTT to control devices on the network. Learning curve is a bit steep but worth the effort as MQTT is very fast. The hardware and software tools I'm using are as follows: 2 x Sonoff relay units 2 x NodeMCU Boards ESPEasy firmware (must be version 121 or above as that contains the MQTT 'retain' flag option. Home Assistant software on Raspberry Pi2 MQTT Test Software: PC: MQTT.fx Android: MQTT Dashboard

My Notepad++ tricks when editing YAML files in Home Assistant

To comment out a whole section in one go: Highlight the text you want to comment out and use CTRL + Q. If you do this at the start of a line, it will only comment that line. CTRL + Q is toggle mode (comment on/off). CTRL + K will allow you to add multiple comments one after the other.

How to check what entities are filling up your Home Assistant database

If you use the Home Assistant MariaDB add-on, this tip will show you how to query the database so see what Home Assistant entity states are triggering the most, filling up your database. What were going to do: Install the phMyAdmin add-on for MariaDB. Query the MariaDB database. See what entity state changes have the most action. Paste the code below into the SQL query box:  select entity_id,count( * ) from states group by entity_id order by count ( * ) desc; And if you're using the internal home-assistant_v2.db instead, you can use the SQLite Web add-on to achieve the same thing.